Consulting & Distribution
The increasing demand for distribution and consultation services is reflected in the need for expert opinions and specialised labour services.
Consulting is highly valued in a world where niche and specific skills are desired for businesses to meet their objectives. Consultation services can be traced back to the late 19th century, and professional consultants now hold their place as offering essential services for business success. With consultation services spanning over 200 functional areas, the leading consultation sectors are strategy, management, operations, financial, HR and technological consulting.
The distribution sector is an essential supply chain system which connects suppliers and manufacturing companies with businesses, retailers, and consumers. Distribution is integral to how consumers obtain various products that provide them value. Areas of distribution involve direct selling, reverse logistics, strategy, and dual or multi-channel distribution.
As the warehousing industry has become more competitive, companies need to find ways to operate more effectively to meet the demands of the ever-changing market, grow and develop. Implementing an ISO certification helps identify risks which could damage your reputation and profits and opportunities for you to stand out from your competition.
Benefits of ISO Certification for Manufacturing and Engineering Organisations:
As well as improving efficiency and internal processes, investing in ISO certification has the following additional benefits:
- Identify risks such as poor stock control, old stock, or stock that is stored in the wrong location, which would impact a business's cash flow and profit.
- Objectives for inventory costs, cycle times and reorder quantities are well planned, helping businesses to sustain trade and maximise cash flow.
- Efficient stock control helps decrease delivery time and increases customer satisfaction, leading to more returning customers and giving businesses an advantage over their competition.
- Having an established warehouse layout eliminates double handling and facilitates safe storage.
- Accurate work instructions improve employee performance and successful delivery.
- Establishing KPIs and monitoring methods helps improve processes and ensure long-term business growth and success.
An established Quality Management System (QMS) is integral to maintaining your company's success in a consultation and distribution environment. Implementing this system will prove to clients and employees that you value the quality of your business.
ISO 9001 is a benchmark for quality maintenance and is designed to improve an organisation's ability to satisfy the expectations of clients, buyers, and potential collaborators.
ISO 9001 is the most popular and desired ISO standard, as it sets the framework for businesses to build an effective quality management system. You can earn the competitive edge your company deserves by obtaining ISO 9001.
ISO 9001 will help drive efficiency and ensure a distribution facility can cope with required stock demands. ISO certification will demonstrate your business's commitment to achieving an effective management system. An effective Quality Management System (QMS) will enable your company to avoid costly errors caused by poor discipline and process execution by ensuring that processes and procedures meet the requirements of a globally recognised standard.
Benefits of ISO 9001 include:
- Client satisfaction
- Improved efficiency
- Competitive advantage
- Opens new market opportunities
- Continual improvement
- Reduced operating costs
A growing interest in environmental sustainability among consumers raises the expectation for businesses to be more environmentally friendly to protect the planet. Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) has increased over time as climate concerns are raised, and requirements are established for businesses to be 'greener' and eco-friendlier.
ISO 14001 is an Environmental Management System (EMS) that encourages companies to reduce waste and costs whilst also doing their part to protect the environment. Making environmentally beneficial changes can be demonstrated in any business regardless of sector.
In distribution industries, notably supply chain management, storage warehouses can produce substantial waste from wrapping orders, packaging, and assembling items. It is essential to dispose of this waste correctly, following environmental laws.
Many consultation companies are considering improving their corporate social responsibility (CSR) by integrating social and environmental concerns with their business practices, with many already doing so.
The standard implements a framework to improve how organisations use and dispose of their waste and natural resources. Reducing greenhouse gas emissions will also allow businesses to reduce gas and electricity use.
Benefits of ISO 14001 include:
- Improved environmental reputation among consumers
- Competitive advantages
- Waste reduction
- Legal compliance with environmental legislation
- Improved efficiency leading to reduced costs
- Culture of continuous improvement
Health and safety in any business are vital to reduce and prevent accidents, emergencies, loss of time, lives and equipment. The safety of staff, clients, and customers must be acknowledged by staff in any environment where health or safety could pose a risk.
In a distribution environment, staff may be working under conditions where they are required to operate heavy machinery, handle hazardous products and be responsible for meeting deadlines. Having structured health and safety procedures in place can ensure your staff will be competent to use such equipment and safely handle documents.
ISO 45001 is an Occupational Health and Safety Management standard demonstrating an organisation's commitment to establishing a safer environment and protecting staff against injury.
Implementing ISO 45001 will allow any business to comply with health and safety legislation by enforcing procedures that must be adhered to. ISO 45001 allows a streamlined and documented process, enabling consistent health and safety business practices.
Benefits of ISO 45001 include:
- Reduced risk of staff incidents
- The reduced overall cost of insurance premiums and incidents
- Reduced absences and employee turnover rate
- Improved ability to respond to legal and compliance requirements
- Internationally recognised benchmark for compliance
Sustaining an Information Security Management System (ISMS) in consultation and distribution services is crucial for establishing high-quality cyber security standards.
ISO 27001 can ensure your security system is safe, secure and compliant with legal regulations. Demonstrating an actionable security and prevention plan will enhance your company's reputation as safe and secure for future clients and collaborators.
In consultation and distribution industries, you will be handling private data on clients, customers, suppliers, and staff, which could be targeted for fraud, misuse, or theft. It is essential to maintain accordance with an international standard, particularly in compliance with EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
ISO 27001 will enable a consistent security system that will prepare your business for risks and security breaches. You will fully understand the necessary actions you must take in the case of a threat to these security risks.
Benefits of ISO 27001 include:
- Improved data security
- Advanced strategies to address your risks
- Continuous improvement
- Establishes trust in the quality of your business
- Protection against security risks and breaches
- Action and prevention plans
ISO 20000 is the international standard for a Service Management System (SMS). The standard requires businesses to implement management over the financial, design, release, and deployment of IT services; this allows consulting and distribution industries to provide reliable client services with a trustworthy international standard.
IT (Information Technology) is essential for any business to succeed in most industries. When it comes to consulting and distribution, IT is required, both internal and outsourced, to meet the company and client's needs. Ensuring that best practice is used by IT services, departments, service providers, and outsourcing companies will demonstrate integral compliance with such systems. IT Service Management Systems (SMS) are a recognised solution to meeting the requirements of compliant IT services.
Benefits of ISO 20000 include:
- Reduces risks, decreases costs and generates higher profit
- Improves reliability and consistency of IT services
- More focused and consistent documentation processes
- Increase managerial control and responsibilities
- Measure and evaluate performance, procedures and practices to maintain a continual improvement system
Business continuity is becoming essential as we adapt to the ever-changing circumstances in the world. It is integral to have an action plan to protect staff and minimise risk and uncertainty in response to sudden changes.
Having ISO 22301 allows the implementation of a Business Continuity Management System (BCMS), which will enable business recovery in the face of disaster or disruption. Particularly in the event of unexpected change, distribution industries may see a sudden demand for specific products, which requires an extra strategy to deal with these potential risks and disruptions.
Risks such as fires, floods, thefts, natural disasters, and economic threats will be significantly reduced with ISO 22301. Recovery from these issues will be more efficient and quicker if there is a quality action plan to move forward.
Benefits of ISO 22301 include:
- Understanding business vulnerabilities and risks
- Have a rehearsed framework for disaster recovery, restoration, and informational flow
- Understand how to deal with minor incidents to major disasters
- Minimise the risk of disruption
- Safeguard both your staff and reputation
- Provide confidence and reliability to stakeholders and customers
- New global market opportunities